Perhaps you have been worried about improving your life in the areas of your finances, relationship, business, communication, etc. But, let me ask you a question, do you ever give time and attention to improving yourself? Are you as knowledgeable, capable, and healthy as you can possibly be? Research has shown that time spent on self-development is never wasted. Since time is limited, it is essential that you spend it wisely.
In this article, I will show you 14 practical steps to enhance yourself and live a life that you love.:
- Try a new hobby. Try something outside your normal scope of activities. Join a reading club or learn how to paint with water colors. You can decide to develop a new skill. Stretch yourself beyond your current boundaries.
- Contribute to your community. Consider volunteering a few hours of your time each week by adding value (it could be advise, supporting a worthy cause, help with your expertise etc . You’ll help others, feel good about yourself, and make new friends.
- Get at least seven hours of sleep. Science has shown that everyone performs better after seven hours of sleep than they do on less. Create evening routines that contribute to sound sleep and get to bed at a reasonable time each night. This is important because it contributes to your health.
- Take on one of your fears. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a fear of clowns, spiders, public speaking, or heights. Get a book on phobias and try to help yourself. Get professional help if necessary. Conquering one fear can bring you a new confidence that forges through anything. In my early days for instance, I used to have the fear of driving, so much that I bought a car and kept it at home for months, until one day when I made up my mind to confront my fear. Today, no such fear exist in my life.
- Read something new each day. Reading is convenient, useful, and economical. There’s little that can’t be learned from reading. Schedule your reading time and develop a reading list. Most importantly, make an effort to apply what you learn. Knowledge is useless if unused. This is one of the best principle that has helped me forge ahead in life, as such, I encourage you to read at least one personal development book every month. Make sure you stick to the plan
- Learn a new language. You could be practical and learn Spanish or attempt something more exotic like Japanese or Persian. People that know more than one language are fascinating. There are many free language exchanges available online. You can help someone learn English while they’re teaching you French. I currently have a colleague that is learning FRENCH and the outcome of her life is simply amazing.
- Use your artistic talents. Make time for writing, photography, music, painting, or other artistic pursuit. Even if you believe you have zero artistic ability, it’s still worth the time. What form of art interests you the most? I know a lot of people that are gifted in one form of art, but they never built on it. I hope this article will spur you to build yours today?
- Create a new habit that supports the life you desire. It might be eating a healthy breakfast or going for a walk after work. Maybe you want to read or meditate for 15 minutes each day. Focus on one habit and make it permanent. This is particularly important if you understand that it takes about 21 days to form a habit (according to research). Consistency is all you need to make this a success.
- Make a new friend. You can never have too many friends, but your life rarely changes when you hang around the same people every day. Find a new friend outside of your normal circle of people. I must stress here that you should do your due diligence and only give room to people that will add value to your life.
- Take a class. Learn something new from an expert and surround yourself with like-minded people. You’ll broaden your horizons and increase the size of your social circle. When last did you enrol in a personal development class? When was the last time you sought professional advise? Do you know there are several online classes you can enrol in today?
- Start a blog. Share your experiences and expertise with others. You might even make a second career out of it. Besides, it does not cost you much money to start and maintain a blog. Come to think of it, you will just be sharing what you already know, thereby impacting other people. You will be amazed at the outcome.
- Get in shape. Make small improvements to your diet and exercise habits and finally get the body and confidence that you deserve.
- Learn how to meditate. Mindfulness and meditation are all the rage. There are many benefits, both physical, spiritual and psychological, for those that meditate regularly.
- Take a trip to someplace new. Why are you waiting to take that trip of a lifetime? Time is ticking away. Get online and book a trip today. Get to experience something new, meet new people and come back refreshed.
Self-development can be fun and interesting! Increasing your capabilities doesn’t have to be like studying for a calculus exam. It is as much about having experiences as it is about gaining knowledge. Make it a duty to give yourself the attention, love and respect you deserve. The more life skills and talents you cultivate, the more you’ll be able to appreciate and enjoy everything life has to offer.